Photo Credit: Thanh Tran
Heading out into the mountains this summer? Hitting the trails for a weekend of adventure and exercise? Well make sure to pack an emergency situation. One piece of kit you should always carry when heading into the woods is a knife. Although it can be dangerous, a knife can be an essential tool in any survival scenario you may find your self in. Here are 5 reasons you mite want to bring a knife when you go to the outdoors:
- Cutting things! The first and most obvious, you will need a knife for a multitude of different situations where you may need to cut away a dead branch to clear a path, or cut a cord on obstructive piece of gear on an injured hiking partner. Keep your knife sharp and safely placed somewhere accessible on your person
- Multi tool! A knife can serve as so many different tools in a difficult situation where resources are nowhere to be found. Not to mention you could use a knife to fashion and make other tools to help better survive in an emergency situation.
- Fire starter! A knife can be instrumental if in need to start a fire. A knife can be used in combination to make sparks if scraped on a piece of flint. Or could be use to fashion some good tinder to get the fire started.
- Eat with it! At some point you will have to eat! Keep your knife clean and you can use it as a utensil when in a eat and go situation. A knife is also essential tool to carry when hunting and fishing, when the hunter or fisherman is need of harvesting the food.
- Protection! Not only is a knife a good tool to have in dangerous situation, it can also be used to create makeshift bandages and wraps if a hiking buddy takes a mean fall or tumble on a mountain trail.
These are just a few reasons you should come prepared when traveling to the great outdoors. For more first aid and survival gear visit us at Pacificfirstaid.ca